• About Us Section 1- Our City Leaders, Creation and History
  • About Us Section 2- 25 Baranggays, Location, Total Length of Roadways, Transportation, Land Area, Land Use, Forest Resources, Weather, Population, Hydrology, Education, Population Density, Annual Income, Religion, Dialect, Communications, Sports Facillities, Banking, Business andLabor Force and Employment.
  • About Us Section 3 - Industries, Tourist Attractions, Health Facilities, Water Facilities, Sister City, Civic Organizations, Festivals, Patron Saint and Market Day

Our City Leaders

City Mayor City Vice Mayor
Hon. Leo Rafael M. Cueva
Hon. Kent M. Javelosa

City Mayor

City Vice Mayor

 

Our City Mayor is the Honorable Leo Rafael M. Cueva and our City Vice Mayor is the Honorable Kent M. Javelosa followed by the Sangguniang Panglunsod Members (in alphabetal order) Hon. Samson Añalucas, Hon. Zaldy Bismar, Hon. Santiago Bitera, Hon. Jose Frange, Hon. Bethoveen Fuentesfina, Hon. Mito Gamboa, Hon. Elwin Javelosa, Jr, Hon. Donato Marañon, Hon. Barbara Ann Tolentino and Hon. Victoria Uychiat.

Creation

Founded in 1860 by Teniente Francisco Rodriguez and Basilio Cordova in the mouth of the river known today as Bulanon River, this place was called Arguelles. Later, by the order of the Spanish Governor, the town proper was transferred to the Old Sagay site known as Pueblo de Magallanes.

In 1906, during the administration of the second President Quintin Katalbas, the name of the town was officially changed to Sagay. The name was taken from the semi-spherical shell called “sigay.”

After World War II, the seat of government was transferred to the present site, Dalusan, because of its accessibility to land transportation.

In 1995, the Hon. Congressman of the 2nd District Alfredo G. Marañon, Jr. authored House Bill No. 6543- An Act Converting the Municipality of Sagay in the Province of Negros Occidental into a component City to be known as the City of Sagay. In June 11, 1996, His Excellency Pres. Fidel V. Ramos signed into law Republic Act 8192, which gave birth to the City of Sagay.

It has been the undying dream and long-nurtured aspirations of every Sagaynon for Sagay to be a city. With the earnest leadership of Mayor Joseph G. Marañon and Vice Mayor Fortunato S. Javelosa, the host of challenges did not impede that dream to keep aflame.These has inspired the now historical authorship of Congressman Alfredo G. Marañon of House Bill No. 6543, “An Act Converting the Municipality of Sagay into a component city of Negros Occidental” during the 10th Congress. Passing through the legislation process, a public hearing was held in Sagay City on February 22, 1996. Again Sagaynons from all walks of life reiterated their overwhelming support for the cityhood. On May 3, 1996, Sen. Raul Roco sponsored the Senate Bill No. 1191, the Senate version of the cityhood. A month and 10 days later, on June 11, 1996, former President Fidel V. Ramos signed into law RA8192, now the charter of Sagay City.After the labor pains of its cityhood, the people of Sagay has again reaffirmed its voice through a successful referendum. On August 10, 1996, 24,000 out 25,000 who voted ratified RA8192 and made Sagay, officially Sagay City. Observers say the unified efforts of the local and national leaders paid off with unseen hands guiding through the conversion process.

 
 
Brief History

Sagay City’s history is as quaint and as colorful as its name. From a settlement hewn from the jungle about a century ago, it is today one of the newest progressive and dynamic city in the Phiilippines. Its name was derived from “sigay”, a semi-spherical shell which abounds in the city’s many islets and shores.Sagay can be easily identified in the map of Negros Occidental because of its ice-cream cone shape sliced from the northern tip of Negros. It is bounded in the north by Asuncion Pass and the Visayan Sea; the municipality of Talisay and Calatrava in the south; cities of Cadiz and Silay in the west and the municipality of Escalante and Toboso in the east.Sagay was founded in 1860 by Teniente Francisco Rodriguez and Basilio Cordova in the mouth of the river called Arguelles what is known today as Bulanon River. Later, by the order of the spanish governor the town proper was transferred to the Old Sagay known as Pueblo de Magallanes in honor of Fernando Magallanes. In 1906, during the administration of the second President Quintin Katalbas, the name of the town was officially changed to Sagay. After World War II, the seat of government was transferred to what is now considered to be the nerve center of governance, Dalusan.After the undying dream and long-nurtured aspiration of every Sagaynon to become a city for so long, Cong. Alfredo G. Marañon Jr. was inspired to author House Bill No.6543, “An Act Converting the Municipality of Sagay into a Component City of Negros Occidental,” and Senator Raul Roco with the Senate version for cityhood Senate Bill No. 1191. A month and ten days later, on June 11, 1996, His Excellency President Fidel V. Ramos signed into law RA8192, the charter of the City of Sagay. After a successful referendum on August 10, 1996, Sagaynons from all walks of life, once again reaffirmed their voice, making Sagay, officially Sagay City.

 
Sagay Under Spain

1. Early Settlements and Foundations 
The recorded history of Sagay dates back to circa 1860 when Teniente Francisco Rodriguez and Basilio Cordova founded a small settlement near the mouth of what is known today as the Bulanon River. The settlement which is Barangay Bulanon was then called Arguelles. In due time, the settlement prospered and became the town proper. Arguelles was to be the center of commerce and trade in the area for about ten years from the time of its founding. In 1870, the Spanish Governor ordered the transfer of the town into a bigger and more progressive community, also near the sea. The place was christened “Pueblo de Magallanes” in honor of the discoverer of the Philippines Fernando Magallanes. “Pueblo de Magallanes” today is Barangay Old Sagay.

2. Early Political, Social, Economic development 

Having now the status of a pueblo, Sagay was entitled to have a “Capitan del Pueblo,” the highest town official during the time. The first top one appointed to this position by the Spanish Governor was Elulalio Rodriguez. He was later succeeded by Gregorio Parreño who was in turn also succeeded by Pedro Katalbas Y Villanueva.

During the Philippine Revolution, Sagay contributed its share to what proved to be a successful national struggle for independence. The hard-won First Philippine Republic was however shortlive when the country passed to the hands of another colonial power, the United States of America in 1898. Not long afterward, Sagay, like the rest of the country was experiencing the era of Americanization. The American influence seeped into every aspects of Sagay’s life: - politically and culturally.At this period of Sagay’s history, land transportation began to supplant sea travel but the seaside community continued to flourish. The first public schools conducted in English were established. Mr. Cornelio Pascual, Sr., was the first English Teacher assigned in Vito. American missionaries were sent to tutor more Filipino English teachers.

 
The American Period

1. The Entry of American Capital - Insular Lumber Company
Meanwhile, sometime in 1907 the Insular Lumber Company, reputed to be the biggest hardwood mill in the world, was established in what is now called Barangay Fabrica. Though measures to prevent the denudation of Sagay’s rich forest were made, reforestation program failed. Later, the denuded areas were converted mostly into sugarcane fields and some into corn fields. With the exhaustion of the forest resources of Sagay, the ILCO - Philippines was phased out in 1975 and later transferred to Hinoba-an.2. Lopez Sugar Corporation 
Another major industrial development give Sagay another big step forward the establishment of Lopez Sugar Corporation in the 1920’s. Also during these years, sugar, copra, lumber and fishing became the important source of income for the inhabitants. The economic growth of Sagay brought about influx of migrants from Iloilo, Cebu and Bohol. This trend made Sagay a melting pot of ethnically different but equally hardworking Cebuanos and Ilonggos.With this developments, business and industry flourished. Leading both sectors were big businessmen and industrialists like the Lopezes, the Cuaycongs, the Jizons, the Gamboas, and the Vasquezes. The sugar boom brought the fore old timers in the industry like the Pueys, the Nichols, the Katalbases, and the Tupases, which branched out to the Marañons, the de la Pazes, the Ibrados and the Libo-ons.

 
World War II Period

1. The Japanese Base:
The second world war brought to a temporary halt the progress of Sagay. The then incumbent Mayor Jose B. Puey, Sr. went on leave and left the administration of the municipality to Vicente Katalbas. The factories were destroyed and the economy was in shambles.A. Eusebio Lopez Memorial School Building - Barangay Paraiso
The school serves as the incarceration area of captured American pilots and soldiers. It also served as the headquarters of Fourth Flight Division of the Japanese Imperial Airforce which airfield was located in Pula-Bunglas area in Barangay Malubon. During the last days of the war, the Fourth Flight Division of the Japanese Imperial Airforce organized a kamikaze or suicide units stationed here and in Bacolod. Known later as the Third Regiment Suicide Corps, it was headed by Major Tsuneharu Sirai with Capt. Tetsuzu Kimura as his Chief Staff 
Officer, of its 59 pilots and crews, 30 were killed in the battle of Leyte Gulf which they played a major role as kamikaze pilots. The Pula - Bunglas area of Barangay Malubon served as the Japanese landing field for the Fourth Flight Division. It was also a site where guerrillas and civilians, after they were identified by Japanese spies as guerrillas member or collaborators were forced to dig holes consequently executed and buried. Old timers believed that almost 1,542 people were buried here.B. Barrio 3 Wharf, Fabrica 
Served as the transport point of processed lumber destined to Japan from Insular Lumber Company and also a docking area of Japanese supply ship during the war torn years. The Iglanggam Bridge at Barangay Tadlong served as the dumping site of executed guerrillas and civilians, known also as the site where confiscated money, especially silver peso coins encased in concrete blocks were dumped by the retreating Japanese soldiers.C. Balibag Hill, Lopez Jaena 
It was in this place where the set of resistance government of Free Sagay under Mayor Tomas Londres (appointed by Island Governor Alfredo Montelibano, Sr.) was established. It was also known as tabo-an or market place during the war and in 1944 a group of Japanese soldiers man-slaughtered about 27 homeguards or “toltog” units of the guerrilla. After the mass killing, the Japanese soldiers set the whole area on fire, burning the shanties and the dead.D. Big House, Central Lopez, Paraiso 
It was in this house where the set of Japanese “puppet” government under Vicente Lacson Katalbas was established. Also a Japanese barracks and checkpoint. A Japanese anti-aircraft still can be found inside the ground of the said house. At Brgy. Poblacion II, Japanese zero fighters left bullet holes when they intended to destroy the water supply of the people during the last days of the war. Holes from 60 mm machine-guns left an indelible mark on the water tank.

2. The USAFE Base
A training site of USAFE under the supervision of Lt. Dominador Gaerland was established at Tangnonon, Barangay Fabrica at the ancestral home of Lopez Kabayao. On July 26, 1942 President Delano Roosevelt of the United States of America ordered a national mobilization in the Philippines and on August 23, 1942, the first group of reservist in Negros were called on duty by virtue of Philippine Army HQ order of August 4 and they were trained here. The first group reported in the said mobilization camp constituted the 71st Infantry Regiment.

3. The Japanese Occupation 
During the Japanese occupation, two Civil Governments existed in Sagay. Under the Japanese national government of Jose Laurel, Sr., Vicente Katalbas was appointed mayor, while the resistant government of the province, headed by Alfredo Montelibano, Sr., as governor appointed Tomas Londres as Mayor whose seat of government is in the mountain areas of Sit Balibag, Lopez Jaena. Their term however, abruptly ended when the American forces liberated the province from the Japanese at the early part of 1945. When Serge OEMs, Sr., as vice-president to Manuel L. Queen who died during the war took over the helm of the national government Teodoro Lopez, Sr., was appointed Mayor of Sagay. During his short term Teodoro Lopez, Sr., concentrated in rebuilding the administrative machinery of the local government.

 
Post War Period

The first election held right after the second world war made Jose B. Puey, Sr., and Amalio Cueva, Sr., Mayor and Vice-Mayor respectively. However, shortly after, Mayor Jose B. Puey, Sr., was appointed member of the Provincial Board of Negros Occidental thus Vice-Mayor Amalio Cueva, Sr., took over the Municipal leadership and through his initiative the seat of government was transferred to its present site, Dalusan.Incidentally, the transfer signaled the diminishing importance of sea travel and the take over of overland transportation as the conveyor of progress and development. Significantly, in this regard, Old Sagay (the previous seat of government) is an old coastal center of population while Dalusan is a late highway occurrence.

The transfer was made possible partly through land donations for the town site by Doña Rosario Cooper and heirs of the late Clayton Nichols. School, Markets and commercial establishments sprang up overnight and postwar Sagay was again on the road to prosperity. Jose B. Puey, Sr., remained Provincial Board Member until his election as congressman for the first District of Negros Occidental in 1953.

In the late 1950’s two favorite sons of Sagay were in the forefront of Negros politics, Jose B. Puey, Sr. (Congressman from 1953 to 1957) and Alfredo G. Marañon, Sr. (Board Member from 1956 to 1959). Because of these two, massive provincial and national aids were extended to Sagay. More roads and school buildings were constructed, thousands of hectares of logged off area of the Insular Lumber Company were planted to coconut trees and sugarcane. Sherman Hill near Brgy. Bato was discovered to contain rich deposits of highest silica. Seaward, the growing markets for sea products brought about unprecedented boom in the fishing industry for which the coastal waters of Sagay proved to equal the demand. The municipal population rose to more than 60,000 and the revenue increased.After Mayor Amalio Cueva, came Tereso Canoy, Bruno Cueva, Sr. and Quintin Katalbas in this order.In 1963, Jose H. Puey, Jr. was elected mayor of Sagay. The income continued to rise. More schools were built and more linking the barangays to the town capital were constructed. The inefficient electrical system was updated, fire fighting equipment and the police units were modernized. It was during this time when the older Marañon began entertaining the idea of putting up another sugar mill in Sagay which farmers can partly own. He campaigned for support but there was too much opposition even some of his close friends. Nevertheless, his idea became a reality when in 1967, shortly after his death, Sagay Central, Inc. was born. Mr. Marañon’s dream was made real through the help of President Ferdinand E. Marcos and then the Philippine National Bank President Roberto S. Benedicto both share his vision for Sagay. With the new sugar mill at Barangay Bato, new areas were opened and planted to sugarcane. Today hundreds of small farmers are being benefited by the new sugar mill factory. The then Mayor now Congressman Alfredo G. Marañon, Jr. assumed the political leadership of Sagay in 1972. He came to office at the most critical turn of the Philippine history when the country was in economic disarray, in political turmoil and in moral breakdown. Yet the new leadership, equipped with a youthful outlook and vigor, proved itself to the challenged of time.Under the administration of Mayor Marañon, Sagay acquired a new town hall, a municipal gymnasium, a livestock auction market, public markets for number of barangays and municipal wharves in barangays Vito and Old Sagay. He caused the organization of Sagay Water District in 1978. He affected the purchase of a municipal subdivision for the municipal employees in 1979. These achievements by themselves, have helped catapult Sagay to a first class C municipality (the highest in entire Negros). Yet Mayor Marañon, himself if asked what he considers his most important achievement, is often heard to say: “It is our successful negotiations of the sponsorship contract with the District of Osterholz in West Germany.” This self evaluation by Mayor Marañon, of his performance on office does not surprise those who have some insight into the background and history of the Sponsorship Program.

 

Tourism Destinations

Himoga-an River Cruise
Nullam ut neque neque

the newest tourism activity in Sagay City , the cruise is a two-hour boat trip from Brgy. Fabrica wharf plying through the city’s longest river, Himoga-an and ends at Brgy. Old Sagay.   There are interesting and delightful sceneries along the way like the carabao island, migratory birds frolickin on the mangroves...

More
Sagay Marine Reserve
Sed aliquam mauris

Sagay Marine Reserve gives our City Government every reason to invite tourists to experience the charm of our sea, sand and sights.  Carbin Reef is a marine sanctuary with its huge, tongued-shaped, creamy white sandbar and its clear waters offers the freshest option for swimming, snorkeling...

More
Museo sang Bata sa Negros
Aliquam aliquet sem

It's the second hands-on and interactive children's museum in the country and its first marine museum.  The museum has an interesting whale-shaped edifice and is located at the port area of Brgy. Old Sagay, 5.5 km. from the city proper.  MSBN has four permanent exhibit areas:  The Marine Story...

More